Saturday, March 8, 2008

a dress- slice of life story day 8

I wasn't sure if my oldest daughter would want to wear this dress when she made her First Communion at Saint Mary Star of the Sea Catholic Church (still my favorite name for a church) in 1994. I hoped she would. It fit her perfectly. The crinoline petticoat was a little itchy, deflated and outdated, the chiffon was a little shiny, the elastic in the puffed sleeves a little dry and stretched out, and the white lace a little less bright than when it was originally purchased and worn, 15 miles down the road at Saint Columba's church in 1967. But she did wear it and a tradition was born. Who knew when my mom bought that dress for around $10 at Sears in Mission Valley that it would become a bit of an heirloom and adorn three sisters of the next generation for this important sacrament? There was never an intention to rewear it when we boxed it up in blue tissue. The idea just evolved as each girl came to needing a dress. It just seemed like the right dress. Is that just my memory? I remember loving the petticoat! This dress has been brought out of it's tissue in Oceanside, CA, Belmont, MA, and Gaeta, Italy. It has fit each girl almost perfectly (a little long on the last sister) and to me looked timeless on each one. Crowning accessories varied from the orginal white veil, to a satin bow and two versions of a white headband. Each girl made the dress hers on her day. I wonder if it will have a chance to be unwrapped again?

4 comments:

Jane said...

I love stories about traditions like this dress. What a darling photo.
Thanks for sharing!
~jane swanson

GirlGriot said...

Such a pretty dress (and such a beautiful girl)! So lovely to create a tradition. Great story!

Anonymous said...

definitely no hurt feelings about using er's photo instead of mine or ker's...

Blink said...

Jules...thanks for understanding, I think:) That's why I love you like crazy!mmcc